February 18, 2009

Concert Review: Obi Best

Photobucket
On Saturday, I saw Obi Best. I had only heard their song "Swedish Boy" but I suspected it would be a good show. I was wrong. It was an AMAZING show. Her voice was so light and delicate. It just swirled around the small, appreciative audience. She played this cool keyboard that she wore around her neck, and her keyboardist/synth player guy was INCREDIBLE. He was so good at switching from sound to sound and basically was perfect. Here he is:
Photobucket
But of course, the best part was when the drummer came out. She looked a LOT like Barbara Gruska, Jenny Lewis' drummer and I was like no it couldn't be... Why would Barbara be here of all places? Why wouldn't she be with Jenny? But I was like ok, if her name is Barbara then that's her. A little later, someone goes "Your drummer is awesome!" (Which she is) and the singer is like "Oh yeah this is my awesome drummer, Barbara." And of course I started freaking out because I was so excited to ask her questions about Jenny Lewis. The concert started feeling really long because I was so anxious!
The most awkward guy ever was there though. He stood right in the front, staring up at Alex (the singer) and awkwardly dancing and saying "yeah!" at inopportune moments. Things got REALLY creepy though, when Alex held up some fuzzy handcuffs she had brought, and said she wanted to incorporate them in the show somehow. The creepy guy instantly yells "Oh please me!" and she was like "You want to be handcuffed to me?" and he was excited beyond his wildest dreams. So up he went, and they were thus handcuffed. While he's up there, he yells "This is the most action I've had in three years!" and in case that wasn't awkward enough, he yells "No, I'm serious!". And Alex stayed calm even though I'm sure she felt frightened for her life. I thought he would just run out of there, with her in tow.
After the show, I finally got up the nerve to talk to Barbara, and she was SO nice! She shook my hand and introduced herself and said Jenny is doing a huge tour in May and that she'll most likely come here! I was so excited. And she said we could be myspace friends and that she'd keep me posted on tour news. If they come this summer, then I can totally be like "Hey Barbara!" and she will then introduce me to Jenny and invite me to tour with them. Basically. :)

No comments: