April 18, 2009

Artist Appreciation: Broken Social Scene

Photobucket
Photo from Exclaim.ca
***************************************************************************************
Ah. Broken Social Scene. How I love you.
Canada exports a ridiculous number of amazing bands, but BSS pretty much tops the list. They are a band (more of a supergroup, really) that was founded in 1999 by Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning. Their roster of musicians shuffles, and they currently have 19 members apparently. Feist, Emily Haines and Amy Millan are all one-time collaborators. So you know it's gotta be good!
BSS has a truly unique sound. The combination of instruments and vocals creates dense, atmospheric, beautiful music. I really can't say enough how much I love this band. Seeing them live was like a religious experience. When Kevin Drew sang Lover's Spit, I teared up. I admit it. I think Lover's Spit, 7/4 (Shoreline), Anthems for a 17 Year-Old Girl, and Backyards are some of the most beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful songs ever written. Seriously. Listen to them.
Here's a lovely instrumental track off their 2002 album You Forgot It In People:

Download: Broken Social Scene- Pitter Patter Goes My Heart
Broken Social Scene's Myspace
Buy their albums at Insound. You won't regret it.

No comments: